Sunday, September 16, 2012

The First...

Baby B2: The First trimester!

July 13, 2012~ Would you look at that?!
I don't really remember when I started to think this might be the month but I do know that I wanted to indulge in the growlers (beer) that Ryan and his friend Nate had bought for the night and something told me I should just double check beforehand. I didn't feel pregnant or different in any way so seeing an instant positive was pretty exciting!

We decided not to tell anyone right away because I had no idea how far along I was. I was about a week "late" but my cycles are never reliable and the minute I saw the positive sign, I seriously couldn't remember June. So I wasn't sure if I was about 5 weeks...or about 9 weeks along. After talking about it we decided we wanted to wait until we knew a due date to spread the news. 

July 19~ I finally call the midwife to schedule a first appointment and an ultra-sound. 

Keeping the secret is so hard! We are so excited and happy, I'm starting to feel the first trimester woes...mostly constant nausea. And we are spending a lot of time with family and friends, I'm getting pretty creative at declining drinks. Thankfully I really have been working out and it's been HOT out- so my go-to excuse is, "I had a really hard workout this morning and don't want to get dehydrated- I'll just stick with water." 

August 6, 2012~ Griffin is officially 21 months old and we have a heartbeat!!! 
~ At today's ultrasound we got to see our little lump and her beating heart. I've decided it's a girl already. Not because that's what I really want but because I am hoping for a brother for Griffin and usually when I hope for things, I get the opposite. Plus, this baby is due March 21- just four days after my favorite holiday of the year. So I'm already talking to her and we're planning on a St.Patrick's Day arrival:) OF COURSE, I'll be happy with either gender...and just like with Griffin, will be waiting for delivery to find out if it's a brother or sister. We also decide to keep our secret for a couple more weeks with the big 'reveal' coming at the annual Bobfest (Barci family reunion). 

It's getting harder and harder to keep our secret. Slowly we are telling people here and there when it seems like it makes sense for them to know (for example, Ryan's teaching partner Amelia...who just happens to have the same "problem" we do...and due just a few days before me!) The hardest times for me are when the Lenz family visits, Jenny and Jamie tell me they're pregnant, and at Braeden's babyshower. I'm even starting to feel guilty for all my lies! I can't wait to share!!

August 25, 2012 ~ The secret is out!!
On our way to the Bobfest, we stopped by Grandpa and Grandma Imholt's so they could see Griffin's new shirt! Then we told the whole Barci family at once and even got Grandma Susie's reaction on video! It was a priceless reaction!

August 29, 2012~ I had my first midwife appointment today and I got to hear the heartbeat!! She found it so fast it was amazing- and so different than with Griffin. 10 weeks 6 days today and we had trouble finding Griff at 12 weeks. I'm hoping that means this baby will be calmer and still-er than their big brother!! One can hope, right?!

August 31, 2012 ~ We spent the last week telling our extended families and friends the big news- we didn't get to everyone of course but today was the day we shared the news facebook style:)

September 6 ~ 12 weeks and why I don't do these pictures at night!
September 16 ~ 14 weeks 
(Switching to Sundays as my "date" for 2 reasons. 1) I want to deliver on Sunday, March 17 and 2) It's easier to take pictures in the morning before I've eaten all day long. I look so much more pregnant after dinner than I do in the morning!)

So far this pregnancy has been really similar to Griffin. I've been really nauseous again and again, it's more "evening" sickness instead of morning sickness. And once again, it's more like constantly feeling carsick versus waves of extreme nausea. However, I haven't actually thrown up this time...yet. I've been taking vitamin B6 and it really seems to help with the nausea- not cure it, but definitely take the edge off. I'm not feeling extra-tired, just normal levels, and have been able to continue running and working out. Although I'm not sure how I'll manage that once work starts back up. I do think I've already felt movement and at my 11 week appointment the midwife said it's quite possible. Sunday, September 9, while driving home from church I think I felt my first kick. I felt my first kick with Griff around 14 weeks, so this is only about a week earlier. And just like with Griff- the first movements aren't constant...or maybe they are just so small that I'm able to miss them a lot when I'm busy, so I don't feel baby move every day yet. What is majorly different this time around is how I react to sweets. Withing minutes of eating something sugary I have a headache and feel nauseous. But this doesn't happen with all carbs- I can eat pasta, crackers, toast, etc without any problems. I love my sweets so this makes me really sad. Instead I'm eating lots of protein and unfortunately salt. Salty things seem to settle my stomach too. Other than that- I still don't feel pregnant. I can still wear my normal clothes and I haven't gained too much weight yet...although the scale is going up...one of the downsides of actually being able to stomach food in the first trimester this time around:)

No comments: